Sunday, August 29, 2010

First Week of Kindergarten

It is hard to believe our little boy is old enough for Kindergarten. It really doesn't seem that long ago when I was teaching Kindergarten and he was kicking around my belly.
He was so excited and eager. We had been to Kindergarten orientation months ago, then to Meet the teacher night last week, and now the first day of school was here. I had gotten him a backpack, lunch box and a new insulated straw cup he was geared up and nothing was going to wipe that smile off his face.

As we waited for the bus I could tell he was getting nervous as he started saying "I love you Mommy" which he will say randomly when he is either nervous or tired. The bus pulled up and he was off! The day went smoothly he made friends with a very shy girl, Emma.

I was very torn to let the boy ride the bus or if I was going to drive him, ride bikes or walk. It seemed that walking was not so much an option as it would just take us too long. Riding bikes for now is out because Emilia is too small to put a helmet on and ride in my baby bike seat or trailer. So we were down to car or bus...the line for pick up in the afternoons averages 45 min and that just seemed mean to make us four girls sit and wait just to stick the little guy in the car when they could be out playing or still napping. And with so many kids on campus the district really pushes for everyone to take advantage of the FREE bus service. So we decided we'd try it. One week into it, seems to be working well. And a little added bonus is I now know more neighbors!
Things are run a bit different here then they were when I was little or taught in California but it works. We are and will continue to adjust. I'm so happy we live in a great school district where he gets a PE teacher, a Music teacher, an art teacher, a computer teacher in a lab, and a librarian in the most beautiful elementary library I've ever seen. The library and school has murals of the ocean painted all over it is so cheerful and inviting. They have an abundance of supplies and volunteers. He will have a 3rd grade reading buddy and then high school kids come in to play and help sometimes too! So far I am happy we picked this community to live. Our School is ranked 'Exemplary' by the state and four of the district high schools were ranked in the top 1,622 High Schools for both public and private by Newsweek. The High School we feed into was ranked 689th, that says a lot for all the elementary and middle schools that feed into it. I know our little man is in good hands and will love learning and going to school. He still wants to be an entomologist when he grows up.

1 comment:

Tabatha said...

They are going up way to fast! He is adorbale and looks so grown up getting on that bus :)