Friday, October 17, 2008

Today Life Lesson


Tomorrow is Mississippi Coastal clean up day. We are too busy with Soccer and other activities to participate tomorrow so we gathered up our supplies and did our share today. As I struggled to deal with Aby who was crying, and Claira who was insisting on running around the National Seashore Park without her shoes, Andy and William set to work. They raced to pick up wrappers and cigarette butts. Soon I had the girls under control and we joined in gathering balloon pieces and bottle caps. We found nothing weird but the kids did learn a lot about taking care of their park. After about 45 minutes the kids were done and but we could tell they had gotten the point. When we asked Wil why it was important to pick up trash he told us, "The squirrels will die". I think this came from finding the balloons.
I hope this year there will be as much of a turn out as last year. 3,483 Volunteers picked up 58,830 pounds of debris and covered 156 miles. They filled 3,527 bags at 55 designated sites. They found some weird things like a toilet seat, motorcycle and a ladies purse with checks! We didn't discover anything big or weird. We did find 48 cigarette butts!

No comments: