Last night we had a crazy thunderstorm roll through, but with it came a nice cool rain. Lucky us because our only weekend home this month and we went blueberry picking. It could have been uncomfortably hot which we all went very well prepared for but, it was beautiful and we had a great time! We picked 2 gallons...YES 2 whole GALLONS!!! Just so you can picture TWO GALLONS here is Wil with only ONE GALLON!
What to do with all those yummy berries? Well, I froze about one gallon to use later for muffins, pancakes and any other yummy recipes I find that might need some berries. Then the kids and I made some very fresh, sweet and delicious sorbet (the kids thought it was ice cream)
Ingredients
2 pints fresh blueberries
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups cold water
2 lemons (freshly squeezed juice)
Directions
-Make a simple syrup combining sugar and water in heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to medium-low heat and simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved (6-8 minutes)-(** This step can be made ahead and kept refrigerated until ready to use).
-Cool completely.
-Combine blueberries, simple syrup and juice from 2 fresh lemons in food processor.
-Puree until smooth.
-Transfer puree to ice cream maker freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.***I don't have a ice cream maker so I just put it in a bowl after blending and every 1/2 hour or so I stired it
-Put into freezable container and place in freezer until firm.
**Makes 1 quart.
Andy is helping me make some blueberry wine...this won't be done for about a year so next year when we pick berries we'll have to come home and open our first bottle. I think I will also take one to the very nice couple who open their land for berry picking (that is if it tastes good, for all I know it might just be one year old rotten juice :)
And our good friends who joined us who also picked 2 gallons made some Blueberry Salsa...strange yes, but deceptively delicious. They just stopped by before their romantic dinner out (yes, that is a ting of jealousy you detect, they have a wonderful Grandme & Grandpa who live in town) and the salsa was strange to look at but what a wonderful blend of flavors. Here is the recipe, I didn't get the exact one from her but this sounds and looks exactly like it...all but the bell pepper (I'll have her clarify on that ingredient, she might have left that out) It would be great with crackers, pita chips, bread or even to accompany grilled meat and fish...I am thinking of trying this Blueberry Rum marinated Pork Tenderloin I'll let you know if its good (can you tell I am a bit pregnant, all I can think of is food even after a plate full of cream cheese wontons and a HUGE bowl of ice cream with oreos)

BLUEBERRY SALSA
Prep: 15 min
Ingredients
2 cups chopped fresh blueberries
1 cup whole fresh blueberries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation
Coarsely chop 2 cups fresh blueberries. Stir together chopped fresh blueberries, 1 cup whole blueberries, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 2 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers, 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a large bowl.
Cover and chill until ready to serve--Makes about 3 cups
For all you local Mississippi folks who want to go to a nice welcoming place to pick Blueberries here is the place we enjoy. $5 a gallon!!!
Dabbs Farm ----They are open Saturdays at 7am Just call to let them know your coming and go early it can get really HOT!
http://www.dabbsfarm.com **ask for directions, there is lots of construction so the directons on the web are wrong.
12143 School Road
Saucier, MS 39574
228-832-9532





1 comment:
yes, the recipe is very similar to the one I use. Tho no red pepper and LIME juice, not lemon juice. I also whiz everything together in the Cuisinart before stirring in the one cup of whole blueberries. Ummm...I'm craving it again. Watch out! It's very addictive. Good with pita chips.
Also, I need those pics from your camera so I can do *my* blog post! HA! You beat me to it!
Post a Comment