Friday, August 8, 2008

BlueBerry Buttermilk Pancakes-SO FLUFFY!!

These were the fluffiest pancakes I have not only made but seen! My friend Rachel found the recipe on another blog and told me I had to try it. Mind you, I was hesitant due the Buttermilk ingredent but I read that I could use yogurt instead! So I got myself some Plain Soy Yogurt and decided to give it a shot... Oh, I also used Margarine instead of Butter. So all you lactose intolerant, Non-Dairy people go can have wonderful 'Buttermilk' Pancakes. Remember if Blueberries are not your thing you don't have to add them, William's were blueberry free!

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Original Classics Cookbook
Yield: Martha says this makes 9 6-inch pancakes; or 16 4-inch ones

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or slightly less table salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk (or Plain Soy Yogurt)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or Margerine), melted, plus 1 tablespoon extra for brushing griddle (you can make these pancakes with and without the butter mixed in, and they work either way. They’re just richer with it, of course.)

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed (optional)

1. Preheat an electric griddle to 375°F, or place a griddle pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons melted butter, and whisk to combine. The batter should have small to medium lumps.
**DO NOT add blueberries to batter. Sprinkle them on as the first side cooks

2. Using a 4-oz. ladle, about 1/2 cup (for a 6-inch pancake), pour the batter in pools 2 inches apart. If you wish to make blueberry pancakes, arrange a handful over the cooking pancake, pressing them in slightly. When the pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. If any batter oozes or blueberries roll out, push them back under with your spatula. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
**Make sure your griddle is on med heat if they cook too fast then the middle of the pancake will be raw when they are perfectly brown.

3. Repeat with the remaining batter. You can keep the finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven at 175°F. Serve warm.
**I also froze the left overs to pop in the toaster on a random weekday morning when Claira smiles and asks for 'cake' (if you know you will have left overs don't brown them all the way, most of us like ours warmer then a toddler thus they end up a bit burnt after the warm-up toast.

No comments: