A few posts back I told you how my friend Rachel and I got together and made some meals for the freezer. Well due to my swollen feet I decided to pull one out a little early. So far this is the only one Rachel hasn't tried, all the others have been a great success with not just her 22 month old daughter but her slightly picky husband who actually said to her while eating the artichoke stuffed Chicken Breast, "This is good. It's like something you'd order in a restaurant and pay a lot of money for". So I guess I can say it has been a successful experience. In fact we already have a new recipe list for next time, which might even be before the baby arrives. Yeah, more meals I don't have to prepare!!!
Ok, so back to my yummy dinner last night. I pulled out the Sausage Filled Crepes, yes I know sounds weird and yes I made a strange face the first time my Mother-In-Law made it for me BUT yummy! It is very rich and filling so 2-3 crepes per person is great along with a nice green salad. The only changes we made was to sub the cream cheese with tofuti cream cheese (non-dairy) and my family used imitation sour cream (again, non-dairy) with margarine for the topping. Rachel also had this for dinner last night, I guess talking about it in the car made us both hungry to try it, she used regular sour cream and butter for her topping and only put butter on her hubby's (he isn't a big fan of cream sauce).
SAUSAGE FILLED CREPES
Crepes
3 eggs
1 Cup Milk
1 Tbl Cooking oil
1 Cup all Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt
**Combine eggs, milk, oil. Add flour and salt. Beat smooth. Pour about 2tsp into 6" skillet (make sure it doesn't stick.
Use butter, margerine or no-stick cooking spray). Tilt skillet so batter will cover bottom. Cook over medium heat until
top side loses its gloss and appears to be dry (I actually flip mine for just a second). Remove crepe to paper towel or
tray. Repeat for remainder of batter. They can cool while you make your filling.
Sausage Filling
1 lb Bulk sausage cooked
1/4 Cub diced onion
**Cook then drain and add the following
1/2 Cup grated processed cheese (I use white cheddar, my MIL uses anything she has around even mixes cheeses)
3 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 tsp Dried Marjoram
***Place about 2 Tbl sausage filling into each crepe. Roll up and place in baking dish. Cover and chill. Bake covered at 325 for 20-30 minutes.
Final Step-Sauce
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Soft Butter
Mix sour cream and butter. Spoon over crepes. Return to oven and bake covered for 10 minutes more.
This recipe makes about 12 crepes...so if your a small family like mine (there maybe almost 5 of us, but we only eat like there are 3 adults) we will eat total 6 crepes per dinner. To freeze do NOT make the final step till cooking day, lay out rolled crepes on parchment paper in baking dish. Make sure there are gaps between crepes so they freeze individually. Place dish in freezer for a few hours, when they are good and frozen you can place them all-together in a ziploc bag (saves lots of space! and as long as they were frozen before being placed in the bag they will stay individual and not freeze into a lump). Last night I only pulled mine out maybe an hour before cooking time so I had to added a little bit of cooking time before I put the sour cream butter topping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
This sounds yummy, I'll have to try it! I just made a stuffed sausage breakfast biscuit that freezes well too. Similar ingredients, but gets stuffed into a flaky biscuit layer in a muffin pan. Looks like a mini-quiche when it's all baked and done.
Thanks so much for sharing your freezer dinner experience with us. It gives me inspiration to try your recipes and maybe even freeze some (if I can wait that long).
Post a Comment